Friday, September 18, 2009

"Fabric Clamps"




I have been asked to post photos my fabric extensions that I use instead of commercial clamps to hold my quilts whilst they are on the longarm machine. I attended a workshop with Sharon Schamber earlier this year and it was after this that I made my own. This fabric works wonderfully well and has the added bonus of coming in very useful when customers don't supply enough backing fabric. Also, it alleviates the need for a "pole" to hold the straps up to ensure that the base of the machine doesn't hit the clamps. I have an IQ (Intelliquilter) and the fabric extension also prevents the motors of the IQ hitting the clamps. The first photo above shows the fabric (13"x 13") with a a thin sleeve stitched into it which holds the piece of dowel.

This second photo shows the dowel in the sleeve













This next photo shows the completed piece of fabric pinned onto the edge of the backing fabric - easy isn't it?














Last but not least shows the fabric being held by the original clamps on the machine. Using this "system" also provides a great even tension on the backing fabric. You can make them in a size to suit your particular machine - I have an A1. Cheap, easy and fabulous!
I hope you find these as helpful as I have.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the mini-tutorial. I can't wait to make my own!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete